Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:39 PM   #1

Nikon I currently own a Fuji S2, D1X,D100 and D1. The S2 is my favority camera from the bunch. Great color, shoots raw better than the D1X and has better color quality. I am now contemplating the idea of the S3 as opposed to the D200. Depending on the answer I get I will make a better choice. I was under the impression that the S3 is the same quality of pixel as the S2 and that is not a true 12 megapixel camera.The raw file from the S2 is great but if i am going to get the same quality and size of file from the S3, I might as well get the D200 which has moreĀ* real megapixel. As I understand it, the S2 can only interpolate a Jpeg or tiff but the Raw file is only 6. One heck of a great file, but still a 6 megapixel. Is the S3 the same technology?Thanks!Gil
Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:48 AM   #2

You're right, S3 isn't 12 MP camera in any way... except in hallucinations of marketing clowns.

Here's different ISO shots for comparing fine details:
Next page discusses about claimed increased dynamic range, which appears to be true only for highlights while shadows stay equally dark: (so exposure should be based to shadows)
Couple next pages should be also interesting, including artefacts from upwards interpolation and dynamic range trick.

8MP Canon 20D produces definitely more accurate details:

So would look much like extra highlight dynamic range vs. resolution situation.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote