Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:04 PM   #1

[align=left]Hi all. I'm new to the forum but not new to digital cameras.

I currently own a Kodak DX7630 that I grabbed at a remarkably low price of $200 last August. I'm pretty happy with it, the picture quality is good, the camera is easy to use, and it has lots of advanced features. 6.1MP for $200 is a good price in my book.

But lately at Dell, there have been some great digi cam deals. Specifically, I'm eyeing the Canon SD600 that I can get for $244.00 shipped to my door. 7.1MP, and about the size of a deck of cards.

My DX7630 is a bit bulky and doesn't really fit in a coat pocket when I go out, but the image quality is superb.

My question to you is this: should I stick with my DX7630, or buy the newer and smaller SD600? My fear is that the SD600's tiny lens will not produce images that are quite as good as my Kodak did.

Your help is much appreciated! Cheers.
thegsrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:22 AM   #2

I have an SD600 that I specifically bought for carrying in my pants pocket. Used it this past weekend in Las Vegas and hardly knew it was in my pocket. It is only 6.0MP though, not 7.1 like you said. The pictures it took came out great. I'm still experimenting with it though indoors to get good looking shots. For example, we were in Caesar's Palace Forum Shops and wanted to take some pictures of the fountains there with the sky look, and it took a few tries and settings before I finally got a good shot. It's just going to take practice.

If I had my preference, I'd get the SD700 but I don't want to pay that much more for it so I am happy with the SD600. I would say compare the specs between the SD600 and the DX7630 and go with what's more important to you. Size was more important to me.

dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote