Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy the Canon Rebel XT, which has the EF-S 18-55 Lens kit included. My delimma is this: If I go ahead & buy this camera with the lens kit offered, & then decide later that I need the $400 EF-S 17-85 lens - then it would seem to be a waste of money to have bought the 18-55 lens.

If I buy the body only, I'll have to also put out $400 for the 17-85 lens. That's too much for me to put out at one time.

Of course, my biggest issue here is that the 18-55 lens does not utilize Image Stablilization, which the EF-S 17-85 does have.

How lacking is the performance of the 18-55 lens concerning moving objects? Is there that much of a compromise? I did enjoy the film Elan camera that I once had, & I know that the XT has got to be better. But how much better is the IS? Is it really worth the difference?

I can get the XT for about $750 after the $100 rebate at Costco, which is incomparable when it comes to customer satisfaction.

But with all of that said, I'm wondering if Canon is about to come out with an update on the Rebel, where they would be including a lens that has IS.

Burtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links