Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:17 PM   #1

I'll be spending about a Month in Nepal and need a camera to take a long. I currently have a Sony Powershot DSC T-1 that I couldn't be more unimpressed with and there is no way it will serve my purposes on this trip. I won't have access to electricity very often so rechargables are out of the question. Anyways, I don't really want a super fancy, expensive camera, but something that will due the landscapes justice. Under 250. would really be great. I'd also like to stay away from point N shoot cameras if possible, but really I know very little so whatever you guys think fits the ticket.
Rhizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:27 AM   #2

I'd go with an Olympus Stylus 150. It has a 4x zoom ( 38mm - 150mm) and costs about $120.

You will have no battery problems because the battery will last for weeks...maybe months...Why? Because this is a 35mm FILM camera. In this situation, I think it is the best option.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:47 AM   #3

I have no problems with film in this situation, was actually kind of preferring it but what about a cheap/low end slr or range finder? Before I posted here and was looking up cameras I heard a lot of good things about that olympus stylus (epic?).
Rhizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:17 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I think on your budget you will be looking at a 2nd hand film SLR or rangefinder.

With film cameras, unlike digital, as long as the box is lightproof it hardly makes any difference which you go for. The lens is far more important.

I'd be very tempted to go for a rangefinder and lightmeter plus a couple of lenses. Something 28mm-ish and maybe a nice 50mm.

If buying new you might consider a Voigtlander rangefinder. Not quite in your budget but pretty cheap considering the quality.

Head for a shop with a big 2nd hand selection or shop on eBay.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote