Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1

I need zoom capabilities, good photo quality (but not obsessive), good in and out of door functioning, good battery life. Taking a trip to Alaska later this year and telephoto was recommended, but there are space limitations. Size is important. I have been looking for many hours and have come down to the Canon and Olympus. I have an Olympus Stylus Verve that I love for the size and photo quality, but the zoom is poor. I also have a digital Rebel, but the size is prohibitive. Need something in between. Please help!
scukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 1:56 PM   #2

I can only tell you about the Olympus...its a super camera, light and compact with good battery life. In my situation the bigger zoom was important, 10 x as opposed to the Canon which I believe is 6 x. This may not be a problem in Alaska...or you may wish you had more zoom sometimes. The 770 also has panoramic stitch facility...which could be handy in Alaska, and excellent video.

Read the reviews on this site, the Olympus has been around a while and has a big following, whilst the Canon is pretty new. There is a review by Steve on the Canon.

Put it another way....trying to get that nice close up of that Polar bear staring at you and growling.....I know which zoom I want to be behind!!!
stupidgrinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:45 PM   #3

Have you checked out the Panasonic TZ1.. nice 10X zoom and very reasonable. The olympus is slow and noisy.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:40 PM   #4

The TZ1 has image stabilization which the Olympus lacks, also. Personally, I wouldn't consider an ultrazoom without that feature. Unfortunately, the TZ1 only has the LCD with which to frame the picture. This isn't a major consideration for some people. It probably won't be for you since you like the Stylus Verve. For me, it makes the TZ1 a no-go.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote