Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:36 AM   #1

As you have guessed, a newbie here, but been reading this forum for a week or so.

OK, here is my brief history. I am a (mature medical student in the UK, and I have always had a liking for good photos.

My first digital camera was a Canon G5, which I had for a few years, and sold very recently on ebay. This was replaced with a Olympus E-500, twin lens kit which i picked up cheap during the easter sales for around $750 (around £500) with a few extra years warranty ontop of the standard 2 year warranty. Bought this as i read its reviews, and it seemed a good buy, with the two lenses, and extra warranty. I like the pictures it takes, and it has toooo many functions that i guess i will never use. Its mainly used for taking pics of my son.

OK, since i bought the E-500, it sits in my room doing nothing, pretty much the same as my old Canon G5. Only taken out of their bags for some quick shots of my son/family. Now I have been thinking whether or not to sell the E-500 and get a more compact camera. As such I have been looking at the Canon S80 and the Olympus SP-350. Both have an equal rating around the web, the main differences being that the canon seems to be a little quicker, but costs about £100 more than the olympus. Is the shutter lag that bad on the olympus? Is the canon much better than the olympus?

Well, what the new point and shoot will be used for is mainly taking pics of my son/family, and althought i wont be using many features on the camera, i would like them to be there in case i ever did need them!

And now I ask for the help of those in the know, which one would you go for and why? Is there another model which would compare well to those two?

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

safe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links