Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1

Im looking to buy either the Sony DSC-H1 or the FujiFilm S7000. Anybody have thoughts on either camera?
NX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:00 PM   #2

You will need to be more specific in what you wish to photograph, otherwise people will not be able to advise you very well. There are reviews and comments of both cameras on the site.

Both are excellent cameras

Both have limitations and irritations.

Good luck.
stupidgrinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:07 PM   #3

I agree with stupidgrinner. Tell us more about what you want to take pictures of (usually) and in what conditions.

The S7000 came out 2 1/2 years ago. I had it for almost 1 1/2 years till it was stolen, and I liked it. You can check the reviews for a lowdown on this camera. It has a 6X optical zoom. It took 12 megapixel interpolated pictures (which contained as much detail as perhaps an uninterpolated 7 or 8 megapixel images. This is due to the honeycomb arrangement of photo sites in Fuji's sensor. The biggest complaint about this camera seemed to be noisy images. People complained that even at an uninterpolated 6 meg fine setting, you could see too muchnoise when images wereviewed at 100% because (they claimed)Fuji had over aggressively compressed the images. However, I didn't think the noise wasthat bad. I really liked the Fuji color in images taken with this camera.

The Sony DSC-H1 came out about 11 months ago, I think. It has twice the zoom of the Fuji. It was cheap a couple of weeks ago online because its successor isabout to hit the stores. It has a 12X optical zoom with image optimization. If I were going to take a lot of ultrazoom shots, I would go for it over the Fuji.

Both are good cameras. They're both available to you new? At about the same price?

I would ask you to consider the newer model S5200 as an alternative to the S7000. It has a 10X optical zoom unstablilized and 5 megapixel images. It's lowlight performance is better than that of the S7000. You can get it for less than $300 online. If you have more money, you could go for the S9000, with over a 10X optical zoom and 9 megapixel images.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote