Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:33 PM   #1

I'm not a digital camera expert, but I've always been happy with the pics that my Olympus C-5050 has taken over the last few years. However, I would like to get something that is more portable.

Technology has advanced a lot since then I and was wondering if I could get a smaller point and shoot that would give me similar if not better quality than the old C-5050. For example, I have been looking at the Canon SD-600.

Other than battery type and memory cards, what would I lose or gain by going to something like that SD-600? Is the quality of the lens significantly better on my C-5050?

Any help greatly appreciated.
RyboFlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2

I think your current camera is a very good one. The little Canon cameras are very good for their size. They seem to be durable as well, as your current camera is.

You can check the sample photos on review sites to see how the SD-600 photos compare with yours. Look for softness or blurriness at the corners of the photos. Also look for purple fringing around areas of high contrast, such as tree branches against a bright sky. These are typiclal problems with the small Canons. They may be worse than your current camera.

A larger sized camera will have less of these problems in general. I considered a C-7070 or C-8080 but ended up with a Panasonic FZ5. I am very happy with the image quality of the FZ5. I wish it had wide angle capability though.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote