Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2006, 6:23 PM   #1

I don't want someone to tell me which of these to buy but I would be very grateful if someone could point out the strengths and weaknesses of each. I have read all the available reviews, but an awful lot of them seem to be written for people who already know about digital cameras. phrases like "poor dynamic range" mean nothing to me. Thanks in advance for any help.

therocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2006, 2:51 AM   #2

Hi, Steve.

Choosing one of these two cameras comes down to your personal preferences and their feel in your hands. Both are advanced high quality bridge cameras capable of great results and packed full of features.

The main advantages of Fuji S9000/9500 (IMO only):

1) wider 28mm lens - useful for shooting landscapes and indoors when you have limited space, 300 mm tele is enough for general photography

2) takes AA size batteries - cheap and you can get them anywhere. Battery life is very good, with 2700 mAh NiMH rechargeable I get more than 200 images + a lot of playback without a low battery warning

3) dual format memory slot - takes xD and CF/Microdrive memorycards

4) hot shoe for external flash and PC terminal for connecting a studio flash (rare feature these days on consumer digicams). High flash sync speed of up to 1/1000 sec allows to use a fill flash in bright light

5) shutter release button is threaded for acheap mechanical shutter release cable

6) low noise up to ISO400, usable ISO800

1) slow burst rate, limited to only 3 frames. Continuous shooting of up to 40 frames is onlyavailable in automatic modes and slow. RAW shooting is painfully slow

2) no TTL external flash

3) no image stabilizer (don't care much about it, but it would be nice to have)

4) ISO1600 is only suitable for small prints and "take it or miss it completely" situations

5) Jpeg compression options are very limited

Panasonic FZ30 - I don't own this camera and only played with it in a camera shop, so the actual owners can tell you much more.

IMO Pana's lens is great and 420mm tele end is good for nature and wildlife photography, although 35mm wideangle end is a bit long and may be limiting. Shooting rate both in Jpeg and especiallyRAW is much faster than Fuji's. LCD is better. IS works really well for static targets. Ergonomics is good. SD memory is cheap. I don't know much about it's proprietary battery, all I know it's expensive.

There were several topics on these cameras, like this one:

There is a very good 20 page comparison of these two cameras, but it's in Russian:

algold is offline   Reply With Quote