Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2006, 12:52 AM   #1

I have several point & shoot digital cameras. I have a Nikon Coolpix & a Kodax DX7590. They are both nice little cameras - however I am wanting to get some better clearer pictures. I have beenresearching the Pentax IstDL and the Nikon D50. Both look user friendly and in a price range I can afford. If anyone has tried either of these cameras - I would definately appreciate any feedback. I'm not even sure if I'm "bettering " myself by going to a digital SLR - but I am definatly looking for something to give me better pics than my point & shoot. The little town where I live - ithas no places as to where I can go look & ask questions.

If anyone can give me any insight as to if these cameras are going to give me a better picture - and also - if anyone can tell me any advantages over the Nikon or the Pentax - please let me know.

I would APPRECIATE any advice.

Thanks so much.
Jifner06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 6:19 AM   #2

DL and D50 both have the same sensor....so image quality should be very comparable. D50 might have better in camera processing....JPEG's straight from the camera are typically better. But tweaking a couple of the default settings on the DL does wonders.

DL is:

- Cheaper (typically at least $100 or more)

- Has 3200 ISO capability

- Smaller, lighter

- Bigger LCD with much better resolution

- Much better viewfinder (though the *istDS has an even better one...comparably priced with the D50)

- Backwards compatibility with old lenses is unparalleled.

I bought one after owning two point and shoots. Great transition camera.

ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 7:14 AM   #3

Nikon - better and wider range of lenses. Allows for better upgrade path

For DSLRs or even the SLRs, the lens are the greater of the investments. The body lasts as long as the next technological advancement. Go for one which have a better selection of lens

woof72 is offline   Reply With Quote