Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2006, 5:04 PM   #11

I have an FZ5 and the noise issues are overexxagerated in my opinion. If you use the natural or standard tones and not the vivid...and use ISO 80 or 100 (I can show you a picture of a sunrise shot in low light that I won a contest with at ISO 80). Even at the higher ISO's the noise is not excessive if you use the natural or standard settings. I would rather have the detail the Leica lens provides than load up with noise suppression that only serves to stifle that detail on most point and shoots.
ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 5:11 PM   #12

...and the AF on the Panasonic is LIGHTNING fast, the OIS works great, and the shots from 420mm are usually outstanding. Also, I have around 20,000 shutter cycles and have had no issues with the camera whatsoever. It's very durable and functions flawlessly in all kinds of weather. If I had any complaint about the camera it would be the small LCD. Otherwise it's as close to a perfect point and shoot hybrid as I can think of.

Canon S1 had some pretty severe chromatic abberation issues...not sure if they resolved those with the S2 and S3.
ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 6:53 PM   #13

Have had the Panasonic FZ 15 and the FZ 20. the 15 was 4 mp and hte 20 is 5 mp. The 15 did not have a flash shoe. BOTH had spectacular results. Lens is a Leitz and wonderful. I think about Canon 30D but then can not justify it since I have and use the FZ 20. I would still be using FZ15 but my bro in law wanted to buy it so I was "forced" to sell to him and by the FZ 20.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 9:50 PM   #14

Thanks everyone.... Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of trying out many brands of cameras... There is not one place in town that has a panasonic... Mostly Canon and Kodak... A slim few Oly's and Sony's and most are not on the list of the more up to date... Kodak and Canon have the most up to date ones... There are only 4 stores in town that carry cameras etc.. other than walmart...

Even then -- in the stores there is not much you can do as they are all hooked to a cord you can barely move the camera to you face... Then -- no power so not much to do except get some hand feel and look through the lens...

Montana is a bit behind the times... :shock:

So I really depend on the internet and all I can learn to make decisions...

Cree77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 11:24 PM   #15

Would you consider buying a camera online if you get enough information from the people here?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 12:20 AM   #16

for what it's worth, i bought my FZ20 online after doing some research, reading reviews, and lurking on some forums. i have never regretted it. i now have a 30D, and don't use the FZ20 much, but i have no intention of getting rid of it... it's an excellent back-up or "second camera", and is a lot easier to carry than a DSLR and lenses when i'm planning on any kind of a hike... i have some killer shots taken with the FZ20, including some enlargements at 11x14 that are simply stunning. the noise issue is overrated, and what noise there is can easily be dealt with using Neat Image or the like.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 5:18 AM   #17

ELDDJOC wrote:
Try the Canon PowerShot S2 or S3.

The Panasonic cameras have better Image Stabilisation, but also suffers from noise issues. I used to own the Panasonic DMC-FX9, LZ2, and FZ5, and found that noise levels can become annoying even at ISO 200, if no post processing is applied.

Canon does a slightly better job overall I think, and has an acceptable shot to shot time. Canon also has the best quality video mode I have seen so far in digital cameras.

I think the S2 suffers from more noise than the FZ30 comparing pictures from reviews(don't know for the S3)... But Panasonic seems to have a name.

Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 6:47 AM   #18

FZ7 or FZ30
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 8:01 PM   #19

If you want fast reaction time, FZ-30 is the one you want.
No electric zoom can beat the manual zoom ring.
Shot to shot time is also excellent.
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 5:37 AM   #20

The Canon PowerShot S2 does not have more noise than the Panasonic DMC-FZ30 - I don't know where you got that from .....??

Panasonic does not use in camera noise reduction, so while the detail is retained, noise is ....... higher than average.

Both Panasonic and Canon feature excellent 12X Zoom, and at long telezoom the Panasonic does a much better job at IS - but you just have to ignore the slightly visible noise at low ISO levels.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote