Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2006, 7:31 PM   #1

I am... within the next 2 weeks... getting a D50... i plan on purchasingthe 50 mm 1.8 (i am getting the 50mm regardless of the other lens) just wanting to know opinions... should i get this lense and learn the cameras learning curve and once i understand the camera better get a new lens or should i get one of the kits... such asthe 55-200 or 18-55? ( i plan on staying with nikon/tamron/ possibly sigma lenses... def not quantaray as i hear of extremely poor qual.)

thanks in advance

Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 12:00 AM   #2

I thought you were gonna buy from Ritz. $550 for the body with Quantarray with $50 gift card is not bad. Sure the lens sucks, you're basically getting the quantaray for free.

Regarding the lenses, I would suggest you get the 18-55 kit lens before getting the 50mm prime. The 50mm is great indoors, but it's focal length is not very versatile.

Other thoughts...

I noticed that since Nikon lowered the retail price of the D50 by $50, it's harder to find the D50 body only (new), and the discount price has gone up. Just six weeks ago, it was possible to get the D50 body only from beachcamera for $510 with free 1GB SD card, but now it's out of stock almost everywhere.

My guess is that the demand had shot-up, due to lower price, or Nikon had slowed production, maybe to produce more D200.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote