Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1

Good afternoon fellow photographers. My name is Andy, I'm 17 years old, and I've been a casual photographer for about 4 years now. Here's my situation:

I bought a Pentax Optio S4i a couple of years ago. This was the result of about a month or so of scrutinizing every camera I could find within my price range. The S4i had mixed reviews, but it looked like it would serve my purposes fairly well. It did, although I was slightly disappointed with a couple of things. Anyway, I took to letting my sister borrow it whenever she asked, and of course, she lost it. This was a couple of months ago.

Now, I've been meaning to buy a new camera, but haven't had the money until now (just got my tax return back and paid my bills for the month). I've got about $800 to spend, so price isn't really an issue. I want to get into photography more seriously, so I've been considering purchasing a Digital Rebel off Ebay. My question to you all is, is there a camera better suited to my situation, perhaps for a bit cheaper? I have no problem going all out for a top-of-the-line camera, but it's been a while since I perused the market and I really have no idea what's been released in the past year or so. My essentials would be: a decent zoom, great image quality (a must), preferably a fairly quick and powerful flash, and I'd really appreciate a good set of manual controls. This was my main gripe with the S4i, I hated having practically no control over the pictures I was taking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew_AXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 6:34 PM   #2

take a look at the Konica Minolta 5D has some real good features like anti-shake in the camera body not in the lenses. And it is in your price range New and not used off of Ebay

patsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 8:48 PM   #3

Checkout the "Amateur Digital SLR" section of Steve's Best:

rey is offline   Reply With Quote