Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2006, 9:30 AM   #1

Iwant to buy myself a SLR but dont know witch one to choose between the3 Cameras. I need some advice before buying one. I love the outdoor and want to do weding photos. Please help
Mayer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2006, 10:12 AM   #2

The Fuji you're looking at is not a Digital SLR.

This is a fixed (non removable) lens camera, with a sensor much smaller than you'll find in a Digital SLR. As a result, noise levels (similar to film grain) will be higher as ISO speeds are increased (along with some smoothing of detail from the in camera noise reduction being applied).

It is better than most cameras in it's class in this area (mostly thanks to Fuji's image processing algorithms to remove noise). But, it's no match for a Digital SLR at higher ISO speeds.

It's lens may also be limiting in some low light conditions, since it will lose light as more optical zoom is used (the maximum available aperture drops down to f/4.9 on its long end, so the wide end of the lens at f/2.8 is about 3 times as bright).

For many conditions, you'll probably find a model like the Fuji to be perfectly fine, and it's a relatively small and light package.

For very low light, a DSLR is a better way to go. But, you'll need to make sure you've got lenses capable of handling the conditions you want to use one in.

Because the sensor is much larger in a DSLR, the lenses will be much larger and heavier for equivalent focal range and brightness. So, it's not unusual for a DSLR user to spend a lot more for the lenses versus the camera body, if existing light photography is a must (indoors without a flash). The kit lenses that are included with most DSLR models are not suitable for this purpose.

There are pros and cons to either camera type (DSLR versus non-DSLR). But, for professional use at weddings, you'll want a DSLR with bright lenses for optimum flexibility.

I don't know what your experience level is. But, don't assume you can buy a DSLR and instantly become a Wedding Photographer. Wedding Photography is very difficult, requring a high level of skill and knowledge of your equipment. That takes experience. You'd also want to make sure you've got backup equipment (cameras, strobes, batteries, memory cards, etc.), and are prepared to handle any equipment failure on a moments notice. You only get one chance to capture memories at a wedding.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 10:44 AM   #3

Thanx for your Quick responce.
Mayer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 5:15 PM   #4

I`d suggest you get a Nikon D50 with a Nikkor 1.8d lens. I paid 470 euro for the D50 and 110 for the lens....you will struggle to find such good quality equipment for a lower price.

This will do just fine for your wedding.....i`d buy an extra Sb-600 flash too.

Look at my pics : www.pixagogo.com/philippeluyckx
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote