Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2006, 11:22 PM   #1

(I tried searching the forum for this comparison, but did not find what I was looking for.)

I'm on the fence in deciding which camera to go with, either the Canon Powershot S2IS or the Panasonic DMC-FZ7. I was originally leaning towards the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 after a recent review in a PC magazine. Although I have read a variety of different reviews at least 8 in total on each camera, and those reviews have given the upper hand to the Canon S2IS.

I realize these cameras do not have the same specifications, in terms of comparing specs like megapixels, but they both achieve essentially what I am looking for (i.e. 12x optical zoom, shooting at sporting events)

From your experience or knowledge of these cameras which one do you prefer?

srcrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 5:32 AM   #2

Hi Steve,

Tricky one this, I used to use Canon 35mm stuff which in my estimation is excellent, and thus I have some "brand loyalty" as it were I was put off the S2 IS as it hasn't got a manual zoom ring, but recently went digital with a Panasonic FZ30 which again is excellent. Wasn't so keen on the 27 for the same reason as the S2 IS but that is just personal choice and might not matter so much to you.

There is a site which lets you compare different models:

From putting your chosen models in it and reading the reviews of both, available on the same site I would err on the side of the S2 IS, unless you save up for the Panasonic FZ30 in which case I almost GUARANTEE you will not be dissappointed, take care and happy snapping

kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote