Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 24, 2006, 9:25 AM   #1

Well I know what camera I want to buy for sure! I had my eye on the Canon Powershot A620 - But after seeing/doing research on some SLR cameras ā€“ I'm pretty much set on the Canon Rebel XT

So I did some researching and found this price. Is it too good to be true?

that's $710.00 Plus the rebate of a 100 - which comes out to $610.00.
My eyes are in shock and im just waiting to press the "buy" button. But, at this price?:?

Help and Feedback!

Zeeshan0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 9:58 AM   #2

I'd be a little leery. You should always check out any online retailer at www.resellerratings.com

This particular one only has 2 reviews - one good, one bad so I personally wouldn't recommend using them. The black XT with kit lens is generally going for around $750 right now (rebate still applies to bring cost down to $650).

B&H is probably the most reputable outfit on the web - they have a huge brick and mortar store in New York and are highly reputable.

If you go to their website: www.bhphotovideo.com and type in: psmar

in the search box and search you'll get some special prices. Look at the Canon stuff and you'll see the black XT with kit lens for $720 instead of the advertised $745. I'd also recommend adding a 2gb Ultra II or Extreme III card (the 2gb Extreme III is available for $99 via the psmar search).

I don't work for B&H or anything but I buy a lot of my gear from them because of their reputation. For the extra $20I think it's a no brainer to go with an outfit like B&H vs. the one you're looking at.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:06 AM   #3

Rainbowtronics, huh?

Always use reselleratings. com to check out any vendor you consider. If they have a small number of reviews, I'd avoid them (vendors have been know to try and pad their own ratings).

These guys are relatively new from the looks of things.

A review at reselleratings that looks typical for one of the Brooklyn based scam artists (for some reason, that's where most of them are located, probably because they can get away with it there). See the earliest review there (only 2 so far).

An apparent Brooklyn Address:

Photo of the location:

I'd strongly suggest reading this article by Bryan Biggers:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:28 AM   #4

personally, i would rather go out to a store in person and pay more than buying it online because when it comes to knowing that your going to get the product thats the way in my mind. i do buy stuff online just not stuff that expensive but im just a little paronoid when it comes to possibly losing that much of my money. but dont get me wrong some site are trustworthy you just have to find the right ones.
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 7:31 PM   #5

Thanks guys -

Looks like i'll be buying from b&h. They even have some awesome lighting kits too!

Zeeshan0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 12:47 AM   #6

Dell has a current promotion going:

# Canon Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera w/Lens Black = $584
$899 - 20% Coupon 3MR0ZPH46W6ZWC (550 uses) - $35 ebay coupon - $100MIR
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote