Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2006, 8:46 PM   #1

I dont want a fancy, awesome camera, i just want a camera that will help me express myself and how i want to get my point across as a rookie photgrapher.

I will be using it in almost every way a camera is used (except underwater). But to be more specific i want to do macro photgraphy, action, landscape, some b&w, and people.

Just looking for a camera that will last me, fit my needs, and isn't TOO complicated:-)

I was looking at the
  • Canon Powershot S2 IS[/*]
  • Canon Powershot S3 IS[/*]
  • Kodak Easyshare P850[/*]
  • Sony Cybershot DSC-H2[/*]
  • Fuji Finepix S5200
The reason i picked these is because a friend of mine says they can use their bestbuy employee discount and give me it as a present (which i reimburse them for).

She said it is pretty much 2/3 the actual price is what she gets it for (they pay stocking price +5%) so i am pretty much limited to bestbuy for the camera, but the rechargable batteries and the memory card are coming off of websites where there are much better deals.

trying to keep the amount relatively low (the highest i was feeling was still pretty high*for me* (330 for the S3))

any help or recommendations off of bestbuy.com would be great :lol:
or find prices that are better than 2/3 off of bestbuy prices and i might bite.

thank you in advance everyone.
AndrewNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 9:33 AM   #2

You have a better chance of getting helpful advice if you do some research among the cameras reviewed here and offer 2 or 3 or 4 cameras for consideration by forum members.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 9:46 AM   #3

yeah there are tons of cameras that will do what u want, the only thing is it isnt the camera that takes good pics its the person behind it, some people where born with a good eye for photos, some learn it as they go along, when u get into photography u look at the world a little different, you watch the way light changes how things look and how changing your position effects the image you are shooting

digital photography allows you to try allsorts then go home and look at the results

i think we all start out with a cheap (not too cheap though) camera then move up thr range as we get more into taking pics

as said your best option is to look at some u like and then let users on here advise about what are good and what are not so good
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:26 PM   #4

This may be off topic -
but I know when I took a basic photo class what got me to really open
my eyes was shooting black and white photos.

I wonder if you can get any decent camera,
shoot your photos
then once you pull up the photos on to your photo enhancer (I happen to have
Adobe Photoshop 6.0) change it to black and white
to see what you get.

It really trains the eye.

crackedcam is offline   Reply With Quote