Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:38 AM   #1

Hello! Unfortunately I don't know almost anything about digital cameras but a friend gave your site and I find it very good and comprehensive. So I understood some things but nevertheless I will ask forsome help.
I want to buy a cheap camera (up to 150USD, it's possible up to 200USD). What's the best I can get?
I don't really understand the whole process. You take a photo, save it your camera (in the internal or external memory) and then how one transfer it to the computer? By USB? Do I need a special cable? What are these card readers?
I'm sorry, I think these are silly questions for you, but I will appreciate any help
May be you have to make a section "Digital Cams for dummies" in your site.
Thanks in advance

mad_chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the world of digital cameras.

There are lots of pretty good cameras in your price range. I suggest you visit Steve's reviews of the "best" cameras on this page: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

I think the Canon A430 and A530 are bargains. Others will tell you of other good deals. If you can, go to a store, pick up some cameras and see how they feel in your hands.

As for transferring pictures from camera to computer, there are usually 2 options for all but a few cameras which have wireless transfer capability: (1) you use the USB cable that comes with your camera to connect the camera to a USB port on your computer. If the computer has Windows XP, the camera is autodetected and you can follow the instructions on the screen to copy images to your hard drive, (2) you can get a card reader, which you attach to a USB port on your computer. Then you remove the memory card from the camera, put it into the appropriate slot in the card reader, and then the card reader is autodetected. It's not hard. After you have done it a couple of times, you will wonder why it seemed so daunting to start with.

The big advantages of digital cameras over film cameras are immediate feedback and longterm savings. I hope you enjoy whatever camera you choose.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote