Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:34 AM   #1

volkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2

What types of photography are you interested in. Please be more specific than 'everything' - try to rank them if you can. What features are important to you?

They're both excellent cameras but your style of photography may steer you towards either Canon or Nikon in general.

Also, out of curiosity, why did you jump right to 30D /D200? Did you consider intro models? The only reason I ask is: if you don't need the features these cameras provide over the entry level models you may be better off with an entry level DSLR and spending the extra money on better lenses - a great lens is always a good investment.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:48 PM   #3

I spent a LOT of time stressing about which dslr to buy, I downloaded the user manuals for the rebel xt and minolta 5d (other too, I think) and studied every scrap of info I could find on the web. All of it. It was just silly and insane how much research I did.

Now I've had my camera for almost six months, have bought and sold over a half dozen lenses, and come to some conclusions about the whole process.

1) You want to make good photographs (right?), this is accomplished by using a good lens.
2) Your going to spend a LOT of time trying to get a good photo, a camera which is pleasant to use makes this more enjoyable (like having a comfy chair to sit in)
3) The good photo is almost always a nintey degree turn from where your looking. Being able to change the camera settings quickly when you realize this is critical.
4) The technical aspects of the camera not addressed by #2 and #3 are largely unimportant. (This includes everything to do with the sensor, especially)
5) The camera is used to connect your lens to your tripod.
6) Technique and vision are worth many orders of magnitude more than your equipment
6a) These are best obtained by screwing up alot
6b) Its faster and easier to screw up with a good camera (ie dslr vs p&s)
6c) Using a p&s does not generally involve technique, thus does not help you learn
6d) Now that I have learned some, I can do so much more with a p&s
7) Buy cheap, buy twice. Spending $20 twice must be cheaper than spending $30. (Wait, no, thats wrong. Spend $20 twice, THEN spend $30. Yeah, thats the ticket).

Funny catch-22 cycle, no? Same thing happens with SLR equipment. I've sold all the lenses I started with except the kit lens, but thats in the cards too. Starting over now, I'd just as likely change brands based on one or two lenses and wait until I have those picked out to buy a body to go with them. The differences in cameras seem silly to me now, other than how you use them. There were several cameras that I could eliminate without knowing thier specs because I found them labourous to use.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:56 PM   #4

i picked these 2 because i want to get into the slr cameras and i want something that is high quality with out spending 5000 for a body.i do not mind spending 2000

thank you
volkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:28 PM   #5

Hi vokl,

"a lens with some zoom" , could you be more specific?

As John said, spend the money on lenses, such as quality f2,8 zooms.

Lenses will stay with you; bodies devalue faster and you will upgrade them eventually.

jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote