Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:49 PM   #1

I am looking for any advice or comments regarding import model of the Minolta Dimage Z5. Based on Steve's review and talking to people who have used the Z6 and Z5, it sounds like the Z5 is better other than the extra megapixel. Unfortunately, the Z5 is only available as a refurbished or grey market now.

I am considering purchasing from Prefferedphoto.com or prestigecamera.com. They both offer a 90 day labor and 1 year parts warranty from the store.

Does anyone know what is different about the import model, or reasons to avoid them?
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:04 AM   #2

A manufacturer may not service a model that is not intended for the region you're purchasing it in, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Sony will be handling warranty work for Konica Minolta now that KM is no longer in the camera business, and I don't know what Sony's policy will be on servicing gray market cameras.

As for your vendor of choice, see the note near the top of this page:

"We detected and disabled 50+ fraudulent "Very Satisfied" reviews for this merchant. Due to the continuous submission of said reviews, we are no longer accepting new reviews for this store as of 1/19/2006."

Also, see their BBB report:

"Complaints to the Bureau indicate that this firm uses high pressures sales tactics after consumers place their orders. After ordering merchandise consumers report receiving a phone call from the firm's customer representatives attempting to sell additional items. Representatives allegedly try to persuade consumers to buy the U.S. warranty, as well as accessories like cables, peripherals, and software, or lead consumers to believe the product will not work if additional merchandise is not purchased. In some cases, if the consumers declined, an email was sent advising them to cancel their orders because the item was on back-order despite being listed as available on the firm's website. Consumers also reported unauthorized charges on their invoices. When trying to dispute such charges, consumers report difficulty talking to management, claiming they are verbally abused by the company's staff."

I suggest that you read this article by Bryan Biggers (and make sure to see the section on "Grey Cameras", paying attention to what's written about store warranties):

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote