Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:58 AM   #1

Hello to everyone!! First time here!!!!! )

I´m looking to buy a point & shoot compact camera in the $400 range and i have 3 in mind. I´ve been looking around in other web pages and these are the ones that interest me:CASIO EX-Z850,PANASONIC FX-01 (PANASONIC LX1 is more like the CASIO but bulkier and more expensive), and the CANON ixus65 ( also called SD630. Theixus800 / SD700 is also more comparable to the CASIO but more expensive as well).

It interests me all the CASIO´s manual features, BUT it doesn´t come witha "prestigious" lens like the other two.What are your thoughts (especially among CASIO owners) about he QUALITY of the pictures (night shots included)?? It´s not my first digicam and my main interest is to have a compact cam for everyday use but with "something else"!!

(I know they "say"that the PANASONIC has a lot of noise in low ISO, and that the CASIO´s video is worse that the previous model... but i dont mind that).

Thnx a lot everyone!! )

P.S. You cansee i am leaning towards the CASIO, but it´s just the lack of a "name" LENS which worries me.

linus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2

I am not a Casio user or fan, but I have the Panasonic Lumix FX-01. It has image stabilization, the enormous advantage of a awesome Leica wide angle lens (28mm), 6MP, 2.5 inch LCD with excellent resolution. is a superbly built ultra compact and 3.6x. It has excellent battery life too. I bought this camera to replace my Canon SD550 and I love it. The image quality is excellent (what noise?) and the colors are rich and beautifully saturated. ADDED BONUS: A great price - the FX-01 can be found in the USA for as low as $279.00 shipped. JM2C
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:15 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Digital Photo Magazine (UK) just did a comparative review of the following cameras:

Pentax Optio W10, Nikon Coolpix S6, Fuji Finepix Z2, Panasonic FX01, Kodak V610, Canon IXUS 800 IS, Ricoh Caplio R4, Olympus MJU 700.

The silver award went to the Canon IXUS800IS, the gold award to the FX01.

They were the only cameras to get 5 stars for picture quality, but the FX01 took gold because of the wide-angle lens and lower price.

I have the FX01 and have never seen a noise problem with it, it's certainly no worse than my wife's IXUS700 (which is also a lovely camera).
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote