Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1

I am relatively new to photography. I just found out that my father has a $2000 credit in a camera store and has told me that I can use it to buy myself a good DSLR.

I just don't know what to buy. I would like to be able to take macro shots as well low light (theatre) shots.
I don't know all that much about photography but would like to learn.
What camera do people suggest???
Amesdabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:14 PM   #2

We should all have such problems!

Since you are dealing with a store credit, I would first suggest finding out what DSLRs that store sells. No sense getting all worked up over a camera they don't even carry. In general, I would suggest one of the entry level models - they will ALL fit your needs:

Canon Rebel XT (350D)

Nikon D50

Konika Minolta / Sony 5D

Olympus E500 Evolt

Pentax *ist DS2

See if they cary all of the above. All will definitely fit your needs. The next step would be to handle the different cameras and see which you like. You'll spend about $600-700 on the camera and can then spend the remaining money on quality lenses to use with the camera. But, first thing's first:

1. Find out what they carry.

2. Handle the cameras and find out which you like - be careful about the salesperson they may push you towards a specific brand for either personal bias or more likely for a better commission (even if it is a store credit the sales person may still get a commission).

3. If you can narrow it down to 2 bodies you like then come back here and people can suggest other necessities like lenses, bags, cf cards etc.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote