Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:55 PM   #1

dear experts: I need to purchase a camera primarily to "scan" B-W book pages quickly. I want to in effect create a fast book scanner. this means that the camera will be mounted on a stand above the book, and output should flow directly to a computer via USB 2. I presume a TWAIN driver is what I need to automate this. (saving all images to a directory on the computer without user action after each photo will also do.) it would be VERY good if the camera can receive its power while on the stand, too. reasonably fast time from shoot-to-shoot at hi-res is important (say 1 second).

nice pluses (but not necessary): raw image capture, though many of the smaller cameras seem to have given up on this. (what's going on there?) on occasion, I would like to take it elsewhere for small snapshots or VGA movies, so small size and MPEG4 would be nice. reasonable price (<$1,000; $500) would be nice.

alas, so far, it seems that only the canon and olympus cameras have twain drivers. the olympus small camera models line seem like they could use a refresher at this point. the casio exilim ex-z1000 seemed great (especially its mode to correct distortion and its high res), except it seems not to have any twain drivers. (same for panasonic lumix, so I don't even need to check into it.)

are canon and olympus really the only good options?

what is most suitable for my needs?

help appreciated. I am pretty lost here.

iaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links