Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1

Hello all,

I am basically an amateur but have done a lot of youth baseball. I've recently been asked to take pics for a friend's team and need to upgrade my camera. The old Olympus 700 UZ did okay when first starting, but now I need more features and quality. I want to be able to produce very nice 8 X 10 prints.

I'mmainly looking for:

- Better image quality

- More megapixels - at least 3, preferably 4

- Better image stabilization

- A decent sized LCD

- Faster shutter

I'd been considering the Olympus SP500UZ but some reviews said it's not good for sports and blurs badly.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Rachelle
msellehcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:37 PM   #2

What is your budget? What types of shooting? Are you planning on just posed shots of the kids on the team or do you want to take pictures of the game?

If you want to take pictures of the game and want 'very nice 8x10s' you need to strongly consider a DSLR camera and decent lens. No digicam I'm aware of is going to give you the burst rates, focus speed/tracking and shallow depth of field for 8x10 size action prints. There are plenty of options if you're just looking for posed pictures but I don't think the non-DSLRs have advanced far enough in the areas required for sports shooting to consistantly help you create 8x10 style action images.

The Canon 30D / 20D are going to be the best (non pro) sports cameras

The Nikon D50 is next, followed by the Nikon D70 / Canon 350 / KM 7d / KM 5d (The KMs may even be better than the D50 but I don't know many sports shooters that use the KMs so I can't say for sure).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 2:50 PM   #3

On the high end Nikon DHs and soon to be released Nikon DXs. Specifically engineered for sports shooting but does not come cheap.

Whatever Canon makes is decent as well. Rebel XT, 20D, 30D. Pentax and Minolta I have not seen much posted by those cameras and not used much by the Pro Shooters either.

Check out Dave Black and see what he uses for Sports Shooting.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote