Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:51 AM   #1

Hi All,

I am a planning to buy my first digicam. I am not very much into photography and the only times I plan to use my camare some special ocassions in my home (b'day party of my nephew, a marriage in the family, and so on) or some time when I am on a tour with my friends.

My first choice was one my colleague had bought a couple of months back, which was a Sony DSC T5. But when I started to do my research on digicams, I came across the following observations:

a) Canon cameras are better than Sony ones when it comes to picture quality.

b) Particularly for dim-light (like inside the house, which I need the most) scenarios, Canon SD 600 is a very decent camera, probably the best of its kind.

c) Although megapixels don't matter a lot when it comes to postcard sized pictures (which is the only one I need), I would like to go for a 5 or 6 megapix camera, as I wont change it for a long long time ( atleast the next 5-10 years, provided the camera's still working:-))

d) Memory, and battery are extremely serious considerations. For SD 600, the battery life is not supposed to be very great, but is certainly more than manageable.

Coming to memory,I would rather stay with generic media than Sony-like propreitary stuff.

e)Although the price ranges are too huge to decide, I believe the canon SD 600with a cover and 256Mb cardshould come to around 300 -320 us dollars.

f) Lastly, please advise me a place in San Francisco, whereI would be able to get a gooddeal. ( note,i am asking a friend of mine to bring it to India, where I live, so wanted to makethis job easier for her).

Please let me knowof anything I should know. I would state my priorites again:

a) Good picture quality.

b) Not necessarily high on ease of use ( I use it rarely), but should be high on features.

c) between 250 -350 us dollars

So at this point I want to know

1) If there are any serious issues with the Canon SD 600 model that makes it an unwise selection.

2) Are there any other digicams with the same set of performance & functionalities in ths same price range. ( not necessarily from canon)

And, please try to respond as fast as you can.

vinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:37 PM   #2

Look at the reviews on the Canon s2 and s3, I love my "new" s3
drailog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:26 AM   #3

I think if I go for the models suggested by you it will cost me atleast 70 dollars more. Although, I would love to go for them, my budget just doesn't give me that luxury. I am already stretched with the SD 600.

As far as the SD 600 (with a leather case and a 512 Mb card) is concerned it comes to be around 320 dollars. And the Sony DSC T5 also costs lesser than that.

Anyways thanks a lot for your reply. But I would love if you can answer the questions I asked in my first post. Is the SD 600 a safe bet to make keeping in mind the usage I intend it for?
vinay is offline   Reply With Quote