Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1

I don't know anything about cameras. I just purchased this. I was just asking if it's a good digital camera? On the box it says it has:
3.2 Mega Pixels
3.2x Optical Zoom
3.2x Digital Zoom
10x Combined Zoom
SP23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:46 PM   #2

Steve seemed to like it. Read your camera's review here for more information about it (and you'll also see some sample images at the end of the review).

Here's a quote from the review conclusion section (last page before the sample images in each camera's review).

"Bottom line - Canon has done it again with yet another model that offers great image quality and performance, all with a very appealing price."

3.2x Digital Zoom
I'd suggest avoiding Digital Zoom. Using Digital Zoom can degrade image quality. All it's doing is cropping an image (removing the outside edges, leaving the desired portion in the middle), then enlarging it again. If you use 2x digital zoom, you end up with only 1/4 the resolution before the camera enlarges the image (by adding pixels that were not captured by the camera's sensor). You can accomplish the same thing later using software.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:41 PM   #3

Sounds good. Thanks for the information. I'll check the review out.
SP23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:27 PM   #4

JimC has given you good advice. I conduct digital camera workshops all over the country and the Canon A-410 is a camera I often recommend as a beginner's camera. It will serve you very well and also be a good learning platform for you as well.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote