Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1

Hi! I am fed up with my camera and I'm looking to replace it and I do not want to make a mistake again so I'm asking for some help.

I presently have an HP R607 it's not such a bad camera it just does not respond to what I need anymore.

Likes: Size , ease of use, feature set, adaptive lighting feature

Dislikes: low battery life, very poor low light performance, slow processor, limited burst mode, ok movie mode

My friend has a Canon SD550 and I like that camera, I have also received pictures from a friend's A610 and her picture from the same location where a lot better than mine. I have read that the Fujifilm F10 is a good choice also because of speed and low light performance.

So my ask is this what are your recommendation for a camera thinking that I do take a lot of vacation pictures with lots of sunshine, evening and nighttimes pictures, that speed is important and size matters. As for resolution as long as it's more than 5MP it's fine. For price I shhot for a street price of under $400 if possible

Thanks for all help

jack_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:01 AM   #2

I like my Canon PowerShot A620 quite a lot. The swivel LCD is a handy feature. Photos are pretty noisy at ISO 400, and there's no image stabilization, but with all the manual controls available, snappy performance,and a price around $200 or so it's tough to beat.

The new Fujis are supposed to have excellent low light performance for a point and shoot. DCResource.com has a veryfavorable review of the new F30, although it's over $100 more expensive than the A620.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:35 PM   #3

I love my Canon s3... read the reviews here at Steves, thats what sold me
drailog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:38 PM   #4

I picked up a Canon SD 630. It came with a second battery, 2G memory card and carrying case for $550 Canadian. The picture quality is amazing. I would highly recommend it.

killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote