Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:29 AM   #1

Nikon d50kit comes with Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 G ED AF-S DX Zoom and

Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ed AF-S DX Lenses.

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera with Black Double Lens Kit - EF-S 18-55mm Lens, EF 55 - 200mm Lens.

lpatterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:40 AM   #2

Both of the described DSLR kits are about the same, quality-wise. Keep in mind that the lenses are low cost, entry level lenses. In the long term either the Canon or the Nikon will do well for you. It is just a matter of personal preference. Once you buy into a particular brand (Canon or Nikon) your investment in the lenses, more or less keeps you "wedded" to that brand because going with a different brand would require a substantial investment to duplicate the lenses that you already own.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:21 AM   #3

I agree with MT but want to emphasize something:

The lenses really are very entry-level. While the basic kit lens for each is a decent bargain I think you'll end up replacing the 200mm zooms and neither is going to have much of a resale value. So, as long as you know that going in, then OK. IMO, if you can, it would be better to buy just the shorter kit lens and save up for a better telephoto zoom down the road.

Now, as MT said - both systems are great and will serve you well. But I suggest handling both these cameras as they are different and you may prefer the handling of one over the other.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:29 AM   #4

You may also want to consider the Pentax *ist DL with the 18-55mm kit lens. The reviews I've read said it was one of the better kit lenses, and with the $100 rebate on the kit, you'll spend at least $150 less than the other two.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

That is correct. Which ever brand you choose to get in the end, be sure to get only the body. Then start lurking and reading posts in this forum for you may find just the perfect solution for your needs and wallet. The kit lenses really aren't much to shout about and, in the long run, you'd probably replace them as time passes and you find out just what works for you and what doesn't.

Best of luck to you!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:48 AM   #6

As a general rule, since I'm an Olympus user, I avoid throwing myself into the middle of Nikon/Canon discussions (I've used their high end 35mm stuff and still have the Nikon F3). I'm not kidding myself, an OLympus guy will be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of Nikon and Canon users. It's just too many fronts to fight on .

But I just have to make a comment about kit packages because I strongly believe that the Olympus E-500 is the best two lens kit value on the market. The 14-45mm zoom is a very good lens. It's not the best lens made but it's a very good lens that won't cry out for replacement. I just posted a photo ("Airplane Guts" in the Other Photo section of the Post Your Photos Forum) taken with that lens at 1/60 and F4.5...darn sharp photo for a hand held pic with a big aperature.

The second lens in that kit is the 40-150mm zoom and it's a wonderful lens. There is nothing "kit lens" about it. If it didn't come with the kit, I'd buy it separately.

As a pair, you can't beat them. These aren't the throwaway lenses that some othercameras include to entice into buying their systems.

OK, I'm not going to try and sell you on Olympus. Just take a look. (I had also narrowed my choices down to the Canon and Nikon as well...until I gave the E-500 a look and changed my mind).
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:35 AM   #7

I agree with Brent on this one. As a former user of the Kodak DX6490 I reached the limits of the camera for what I wanted to photograph. Iresearched for several months all the brands available with an open mind. For my moneyI concluded that the Olympus Evolt E-500 was for me. In no way have I regretted my choice. The two lenses that come with this are not throw away lenses. They are a good starting point only to be added to. I am not trying to persuade you which brand to buy just asking you toexplore a little more.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:46 AM   #8

just worried about the availability of accessories here in South Africa......photography market is not so big and I am a bit wary of ordering equipment from other parts of the world.....

so i think i am better off sticking with the popular brands (N+C)

lpatterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:35 AM   #9

I'm with Brent & Old Jim as an Oly user. The E500 twin lens kit is considered best "bang for your buck" by many people.

Don't forget the importance of the 'feel' of the camera (ergonomics). Many again prefer the E500 and many dislike the 350 XT but it depends on what feels right or comfortable to you.

bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:32 AM   #10

Yep, another vote for Oly here. I chose the E-500 (despite it's inferior high-iso performance) over the other two because it was not too big (the D50 is) and the grip is re-assuringly meaty (the 350D grip is way too thin). And as for the high-ISO performance, I rarely use high Iso settings whereas the camera's size and gripcomfortare things you have toput up with every time you use it.

And the Oly lenses in that sector of the market are definitely superior with one exception (see below):

Some E-500's are sold with the 17-45 lens instead of the much better quality and wider-angled 14-45 lens. The kit containing the 17-45is called the 'SE Kit' by Olympus and tend to be cheaper than the 14-45 kit. Just watch out for that because the 17-45 is more akin to the canon kit lens in quality, plus it's less useful at the wide end compared to the quality built 14-45.

As for getting spares and service in SA, Olympus is no back-street outfit. They are every bit as ubiquitous as the other famous brands.

pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote