Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:55 AM   #1

I'm planning to buy Nikon d50 in near future and I thought that you could give me some help in choosing the lens. I'm new for dSLR and don't know much about lenses, but I want my first lens to be suitable for all-around shooting (and it should be quite cheap, as I'm short on budget:roll.

I've got few lenses listed (these are suitable for my budget:G):

Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G ED (kit lens)
Nikon Nikkor AF-G 28-80mm F/3,3-5,6
Tamron 28-80mm F/3,5-5,6 Nikon AF
Sigma DC 18-50mm F/3.5-5.6 Nikon
Sigma 28-70mm F2.8-4.0 DG Nikon
Sigma 28-135mm F/3,8-5,6 IF Makro Nikon

I have read in different forums that the kit lens is pretty good for all-around shooting, but is there any better options? The lens should be able to handle some low light situations, coz here in Finland the winter is long and dark. It would be nice to take pictures without tripod when there's snow up to your knees :-).

Hope you can help me to make the right desicion.
jutei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #2

A lot of Nikon D-50 users have adopted the strategy of a single walk around lens, choosing either the Sigma or Tamron 18-200mm lenses. Please keep in mind that these are not especially good lenses for low light level shooting, but they are excellent general purpose lenses. We have seen many excellent photos made with these two lenses.

A good number od other people have opted for the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens. They feel that the kit lens will cover their wide angle needs, and they want a longer telephoto reach. Samples from that lens have also been excellent. However, like the 18-200mm lenses it is not particularly a good low light level lens.

What do I use for low light levels? Either the 50mm F1.8 Nikkor or my Sigma 30MM F1.4 lens.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:59 PM   #3

That Nikkor 50mm F1.8 isn't that expensive, but I think it wouldn't be so good for first lens...and don't have enough money to buy two lenses. I think I'll have to settle with that kit lense.

Thank you for your tips
jutei is offline   Reply With Quote