Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:25 PM   #21

kenbalbari wrote:
think something like the Velbon model recommended by TDN might be the minimum a DSLR owner would want to consider. I noticed in researching tripods that there were a few Slick models strating at around that price which tend to get very high marks from buyers:

Slick Able 300DX
Slick Pro 340DX
Slick Pro 400DX
Slick Pro 700DX

I've also noticed that these periodically go on special at B&H; the current deal seems to be on the 700.
I had Slik 500DX legs + 300DX head. Very sturdy tripod. Quality was superb! However I feel that this combination was overkill for me because equipment I put on my tripod doesn't exceeds 1,5kg, and this combination could easily hold 4-5kgs.

Last weekend tripod was stolen from me so I am considering buying 330DX. It will be lighter than 500DX but still more than enough for my 1,5kg equipment.

300DX no go for me because it has not a leg locks but screws instead. Not convenient. In fact I think it is an old model, replaced by 330DX and 340DX.

340DX has 4 leg sections. This makes tripod more compact while folded, but it takes more effort to set it up. However I am considering it also.

400DX and 700DX are for heavy equipment and they are overkill for an amateur with entry level DSLR.

All SLIK tripods have their legs coated in some synthetic material (feels very nice) and I think it is simply a must have feature, you won't freeze your hands. I've found it very useful even when it was +10-15C outside.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote