Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:28 AM   #1

Unfortunately the Pentax *ist DL that I bought forwife was stolen onthe way back from our honeymoon..... The reason I went for a Pentax was that she already had Pentax lenses from her film camera that could be reused.

With Camera and lenses gone we start again from scratch. She really liked the Pentax *ist DL (although didn't try anything else) and it is very keenly priced (AUD$750)but I've noticed that it doesn't seem very easy to get Sigma and Tamron lenses for it when compared with Canon or Nikon - particularly on ebay.

Given a large proprotion of the cost of this hobby sounds like it ends up being the lenses, is this a good reason to consider a Nikon D50 (AUD$930) or Canon 350D (AUD$1100) rather thanthe Pentax*ist DL.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As sherarelymakes large prints I assumethe8mp of the Canon is of little relevance. Is there any other reason to favour Nikon or Canon over the Pentax forgeneral photography?

bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:41 AM   #2

pentax is a very capable camera for you picture needs... and with the wonderful price and if your wife liked it i dont see why not tojust go with it again.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:56 AM   #3

yeah and if you can't find lenses in australia on ebay, go to your local pawn shops - being able to use any and all k-mount lenses makes them easy to find.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote