Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:19 AM   #1

Hey there Stevers,

I will be going to Japan for a year at the end of this week, and I figured that I needed an upgrade to my 2 megapixel 5 second delay HP... however, some have suggested that the technology is better in Japan and I would be a fool not to get the new camera there. Are these people right? The reason why I ask is that there is the very significant problem of the language barrier for buying in Japan, so I don't want to do it without substatial reason.

Secondly, I also have the typical question of what to buy.. I would like the combination of affordability,quality, compactness (its a travel camera), and (hopefully) control. My local store has Canon A420, A530, and Sony S60, all at reasonable prices (mostly just over $200CAN). What do you guys opine?

Thanks for your time.

- Ballpointpenner
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:17 AM   #2

I live in the US now, but I have lived for a while in Japan and Taiwan and have visited Hong Kong a number of times.

I don't think Japan is that cheap. However, sometimes new cameras come out several months earlier there than in North America. In fact, some cameras that come out in Japan never officially are sold in North America. If I were looking for that kind of new product, I might try Japan. If you go to Akihabara, the electronics district in Tokyo, you should be able to find clerks and salesmen that can speak to you in English. I think prices are slightly lower in Hong Kong and you can get by in English more easily there.

I have the A530 and like it very much. I hear the A430 is a bargain starter camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:44 AM   #3

For what it worth I too, have been in Japan extensively, and found digital camera prices, almost invariably measurably higheranywhere in Japan,than in North Ammerica. Robbo is absolutely correct.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:11 AM   #4

the cheapest camera can be bought in USA at ebay. i frequent hong kong and its not that cheap there specially those catering to tourist.

buying a camera in japan will have japanese manual and guarantee and sometimes the labels in cam are in japanese character also. id check it out very well before buying.
ekek888 is offline   Reply With Quote