Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:52 PM   #1

I am looking to buya new point and shoot camera to use for astrophotography. I currently own a Canon A75. I like the powershot series, only drawback for me is the shutter speeds only go to 15sec. I am looking for a point and shoot with at least 6mp and shutter speeds up to 60sec.

Here's the catch. Since I'll be using this for astrophotography, I'm looking for a camera in that range that will accept an adapter and step ring to connect the camera directly to the eyepiece.

I'm interested in the Panasonic dmc-lz5 but I do not see a way to connect the camera directly. I haven't ruled out a Canon a620 or 700 either, despite the fact they only go to 15sec shutter speed because they have a removeable ring and I'm aware of adapters for those cameras. I knowof camera mounts such as the steadypix but I'd rather connect the camera directly to the eyepiece.

If you are aware of a camera that will fit my needs or know a camera adapter company I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Best Regards,

pravda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:51 PM   #2

I went A50 to A70 to A620 and I am happy. My wife carries a SD450 for more compact shooting.

If I was single, I'd have both the A620 and an 'SD'. The SD takes great pics most of the time, but for some mission critical in a bad situation it doesn't...if I am carrying my A620 I can get the shot.

If I were to upgrade now, it would be to a full sized DSLR...I have debated getting a G series...but I don't think it would be such a leap.

My brother went from Canon Rebel DSLR to a G Series though because he was finding he wasn't carrying his camera that much (his financee has an SD as well).

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote