Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:28 PM   #1

Hi all,

Need a little advice finding the right camera. I would like one that does most if not all well.

1. Slips easily into a pocket or purse.
2. Takes rich, sharp photos (5 MP or more)
3. Is fast.
4. Doesn't need a lense cap
5. Shoots video at 640x480, 30 FPS, and no limit.
6. Runs on CF or SD or any other format that is quick and has 4GB ( or greater) cards.

I have been reading this excellent site for a while now along with some others and this small "do-it-all" camera still eludes me!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks!

xRAzORx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:37 AM   #2

Sorry, not going to happen.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:10 AM   #3

The Pentax S7 is due out in September. It is tiny, has a FAT 32 file system that takes 4Gb SD cards, has MPEG4 with a digital anti-shake and has 7Mp.

A 2Gb card in a typical 5Mp camera will store over 800 photos. So I'm guessing you want to take long movies. A camera with MPEG4 movies will store more on a 2Gb card than most cameras without MPEG4 on a 4Gb card.

There aren't a lot of cameras on the market yet with FAT 32 that will take 4 Gig cards. If you want something tiny now with good movies you might consider a MPEG4 camera like the Casio S600. If you want an optical viewfinder consider the Casio Z750 or Z850. The Z750 takes a little nicer movies but the Z850 has a movie light, anti-shake for the movies and a lot more features.

All of the Casios with MPEG4 have a past movie mode. You aim the camera and wait for something worth filming to happen. When the fish jumps or the girl finally pops out of the cake start filming. It will include the previous 5 seconds from the buffer. It saves a lot of grinding away.

Most cameras anymore take nice photos. One person's "rich photos" is another person's "Disnyfied". Casios are good in that they have 5 levels each for sharpening, saturation and contrast, so you can tune the camera to put out photos to your liking. Many cameras like the Canon SD series have no adjustment except for a "vivid" picture mode. With cameras like that you just have to accept what the manufacturer thinks is a good balance.

The Casios are also very fast. I don't know of any sub-compact cameras currently on the market that need a lens cap.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote