Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:32 AM   #1

Hello world,

I've been following this site for quite some time, but this is my first post here. I'd like to thank all good people here for their contributions.

I'm considering to buy the first DSLR with both kit lenses, because I don't think I'll be able to buy a lens in at least the next two years.
I've narrowed down the choices to Nikon D50 and Sony a100. I like Sony's anti shake and resolution, but Nikon has better high ISO (based on other people's comments - I haven't used any of these cameras). I'm not sure about the kit lenses. The photography I take is candid, portraits and in low light situations.

I'd appreciate if any of you would share their experience with the kit lenses.

The Nikon ones are AF-S DX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G and AF-S DX 55-200mm F4-5.6G and Sony's DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 and 75-300mm F4.5-5.6. Nikon is about 15% cheaper.
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:44 AM   #2

Given the fact that kit lenses are what they are and the aperture ranges are identical you might want to consider other tiebreakers. The Sony AS is a definite plus (and added expense) and it has it's own dust-fighting technology; real peace of mind to a first-time user (though we'll need to see some real-world test results to determine if it competes with the current system used by Olympus). On the other hand, the Nikon has a wealth of accessories (both OEM and aftermarket) for when you're ready to advance to your next level of creativity. It's a well-established system, not just a camera and lens. Not to say Sony won't build it's own, but for now relies heavily on the defunct Konica-Minolta line for additional lenses.

Again it comes down to a choice of the features that are best for you vs. price.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:12 AM   #3

Stowaway has stated the case very well indeed. You are deciding and buying into an entire system of DSLR cameras and lenses. That is a personal decision. Folks do indeed begin in one system and later change to another, but that entails selling off one system and deciding/buying into a whole new system, that can be costly. In the final analysis, it is yourdecision.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote