Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:22 PM   #1

I'm looking for a small digital point and shoot camera. Am considering the Canon SD30, Canon SD450, and the Kodak V570. Anything stand out? Should I consider something else in the $300 range? Use will be strictly amateur family photos. Want ease of transfer to computer and printing as an option.
sduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:18 PM   #2

Look at the Sony cyber shot W70 & W100.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:32 PM   #3

Any pic you take with any digital camera is capable of being printed. Just transfer the photo to your PC and print it out.

When you say "amateur family" photos, I'm assuming family picnics, birthdays, etc? Mix of indoor and outdoor stuff? Do you want to use a flash, or do you prefer more natural lighting conditions? For ~$300, I'd add to your list the Fuji F30 (awesome low-light camera) and the Sony Cybershot DSC-W100 or W70 - both have gotten great reviews. In all honesty, I'm getting the vibe that you don't want to bother with more "photographic" and image-editing stuff, so I don't think the Canons are for you, simply because they suffer from significant red-eye problems. Of course, if I am wrong in my assumption about you (:?) then check out any of the Canon Powershots, A620/A700 and the SD550/SD600/SD630. From what I've read, the flash on the SD30 is very weak.

EDIT: Looks like Ken and I had the same idea...:-)
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:08 PM   #4

I think that you are correct. The Sony W-70 or W-100 might provide the best solution. But keep in mind the old adage: "Any digital camera's performance is directly proportional to how well the user reads the camera's documentation."

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote