Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1

Hi all
I am thinking of purchasing either the SD600 or A540. Currently I have an olympus 5050 which I really like. I use it a lot for underwater pictures and I wanted to have a smaller camera on hand for when the 5050 is in the housing.
I am also planning a trip to Europe and want something smaller than the 5050 to carry around.
I would like a camera under 300.00 that takes good pictures is a variety of situations, but mostly outdoors. I would also like it to be on the small side so its easy to carry around. It seems like either of these two cameras would work but just wondering if people have opinions on them.

widiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2

it looks to me that the sample pictures for the sd600 are better and are more saturated tham the ones from the a540...so i think i wold go with the sd600 also because it'such smaller and easier to carry than the a540
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:16 PM   #3

SD600 is certainly smaller than the A540.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:59 PM   #4

The A540 and the SD600 are based on the same sensor, so there shouldn't be any big difference in image quality. The A540 is larger, but has more manual controls, a better optical viewfinder, and a 4x zoom. The SD600 gives you a few less features, but a more pocketable ulta-compact size.

If you want a compact camera with more features/contols look at the A540, as well as competitors like the Kodak Easy Share C663, Panisonic Lumix DMC-LZ5, or possibly Fuji Finepix F20 & F30.

If you want more of an ultra-compact point and shoot, then look at the SD600, the EasyShare V550, Lumix FX7, FX8 or FX9, and Cybershot W30, W50, W70, or T9.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5

Hi guys Im looking for a super compact camera that will fit in a shirt pocketlike the Canon 600 and elph series. but I need a wide angle lens as I shoot hot rod shows aa lot and dont want to back up intop the crowd. remember my big requirement is a wide angle lens. any suggestionns?
Big Doug
Big Doug is offline   Reply With Quote