Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:29 PM   #1

Please help me in selecting a new camera. I have around $500 to $700 to spend depending on the camera. Here is my situation and needs. Thank you for your advice in advance.

I have an active one year old daughter who I love to take pictures and movies when I get home from work. Most of the pictures are taken at night with flash on and indoor. I print most of them on 4x6 when I have a good shot (occasionally 8x10). So I guess I need a camera that has a powerful flash or one with a hot shoe where I could add an external flash. I also need to have the flash recycle very quickly and the shot to shot time short too. And of course, with a one year old running around, I need to have the shutter lag very short and a VERY VERY quick auto focus. I don't need a powerful zoom. And I like to use it to take movie as well (640x480, 30fps is preferred).

My last camera was the Canon SD550. It was a great camera except the flash wasn't that strong. So I purchased the Vivitar slave flash and it was good until I went to a party where other flashes triggered the slave.

My current camera is the Sony H5. I read reviews about its flash and it's true. It has a very strong flash. But the flash recycle takes so long it's KILLING me. The shutter lag delay is also slow comparing to my previous SD550.

So please let me know what you have in mind. Am I asking too much for $700? How much is a camera as I have described worth?

Thank you again.:-)
Daddy_And_Daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links