Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:06 AM   #1

I'm looking for a decent ultracompact digicam. I own a Rebel Xt and an Olympus c2100 UZI for my serious shots, but now I'm looking for something small and thin that I can put in a shirt pocket to carry around all day long. Camera size and image quality are my two criteria. Anywhere from 2 megapix up would be fine. Don't need a zoom.A viewfinder is not required - LCD screen will do. I'm just going to be usingit forsnapshots - targets of opportunity. Anyone have any ideas?

Lotus 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:20 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Panasonic FX01 is working out well for me.

Nice Leica lens 28-100 equivalent f2.8-3.5 and Image Stabiliser.

It's the ONLY compact with a wide-angle lens equivalent to 28mm. All the rest start at around 35mm equivalent which is quite a big difference.

Carry it everywhere and use it when the 20D is too big.

6Mp gives very nice prints up to A4.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:35 PM   #3

Give a look at the Canon S80. Great lens starting at 28mm at the wide end, and 8MP for lots of pixels to play with. It's very well built with nicely laid out  controls. This camera fits easily into a shirt pocket, boots up quickly, and has virtually no shutter lag and an eye level viewer to boot. I carried it around Belgium for a couple of weeks this spring and shot more than 1000 very clean photos.  The only down side for me is the lack of RAW capability; however, the 8MP jpegs are very, very sharp with excellent color so I haven't really missed the RAW. It goes everywhere with me even if I'm lugging around My D70 , just in case.
Lynn Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:58 PM   #4

if your going for ULTRA compact try the casio s600 (mp4 movies) or the casio z600 both are good 6mp quality cameras
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote