Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:19 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a new digital camera, the only problem is, I'm not really a very technical person and I don't know what cameras are good are what are not. I have a budget of about £180. I am just a newbie when it comes to digital photography, and I am only 15 years old so I am not looking for anything absolutely amazing.
My first choice was a Sony CyberShot DSC-W70, It looked good on paper but after consulting some people I was told that although Sony is good, they only take sony memory cards which can be very expensive and the cameras aren't great value for money.
Then I saw the 'Casio Exilim EX-Z70BK' - This also looks good and seems to have good specifications from what I can tell, but I need other peoples opinions. I have searched all over for reviews, even here, but I can't seem to find any. I have a feeling it's quite a new camera.
There are just so many choices that I don't know what to choose or whats good. I just want a camera that is good value for money, will last a long time and also deliver good quality pictures. Please post your suggestions, if you have any, here - or let me know more about the Casio Exilim EX-Z70BK.

Thanks for all your help!

taika is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:18 PM   #2

Taika, pop into WH Smiths and pick up a review magazine - 'Digital Camera Shopper' always has a free CD on the front which contains all their previous reviews. Browsing through that will give you a better feel for whts out there for you, £3.99 well spent.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:12 PM   #3

I feel your pain. It's hard to chose, and you have to make your best choice basedon imperfect opinions and pull the trigger. There too many variables and youcan go round and round making a different choice everyday.

A couple suggestions:

Go to Steve's Digicams' "Best Camera's" page. Unless you have an unusual or specific requirement, his suggestions arevery good.

Something I've learned from my other hobbies: as a newbie you can't know what you want until you buy something first. You need to buyyour first camera, watch, speaker, TV, gun or whatever to understand what features are important to you. I know this is expensive but the idea is still valid. For a digital camera you may discover you may have different values forcompactness,image quality, speed, memory type, pixel count, color fidelity, etc., and what compromises you are willing toaccept to get the right mix. So take your best shot and buy and don't regret the purchase. Think of it as a learning experience. And sometimes, not often, your first purchase ends up being the best choice.

Good luck!

rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote