Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1

I need to buy a camera this week, and I want to buy the best one out there. I am definately a beginner, but I want to become better as I love digital cameras. Price not being a factor, which is the better Camera to buy between thses two. Your help is appreciated!!!
HeHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:22 AM   #2

HeHateMe wrote:
I am definately a beginner, but I want to become better as I love digital cameras.
First let me say that both of these cameras are not aimed at, but can be used by, a beginner. Aside from the obvious 8 MP (Canon) vs. 10 MP (Nikon) debate, both offer a step-up from the entry-level offerings from both manufacturers. Next, I would advise you to go to the home page for this site and read the review for both cameras (or read them again, if you've read them once already). Is there a particular feature or features that jump out as "gotta have" for you? Another important consideration is that since they are comparable models, look at the entire system (lenses, flashes, accessories) you're buying into. More often than not that's the tie-breaker for many folks. Finally, as a beginner, do look at the entry-level models from both (Digital Rebel, D50) and see if either of these suit your needs. I got the "money not being an object" statement but 1) avoid jumping into a camera with settings and menus so advanced that you getfrustrated or end up paying for features you don't use and 2) realize that the money saved getting that entry-level body can be used for those lenses, flashes, etc. to further your learning experience and enjoyment.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:34 AM   #3

Stowaway7 has some good advice. Despite what some people who are brand fanatics will say, there is no single BEST camera for everyone. Every DSLR out there has a different feature set from other models - they all have pros and cons.

Also remember, you need to get lens(es) with your new camera. Depending on the type of photography you do those lenses can be very expensive. So, you need to figure out what you want to shoot and do some research on which lenses would be appropriate in each camera system.

One word of caution - and don't take this the wrong way as I don't know how much you know about DSLRS - A DSLR is NOT a betterpoint and shoot camera. It's not like buying a digicam where you're only decision / research is which camera to buy. A DSLR is only one piece of many - lenses, flashes, filters, tripods, monopods, etc... are all parts of the equation. So keep that in mind when you say money is no object. For instance if you shoot sports or wildlife you'll find that the kit lenses for these cameras are insufficient - uh oh - need to spend more $$$$ to get a lens that will allow you to do what you want. Again, I don't say this to discourage you at all - I just think some people have a misleading impression that a DSLR is still just an all-in-one type of camera and it's not.

Also, back to the cameras - go to a store and handle any cameras you are interested in. Ergonomics plays a big factor for many people. The controls, menus and handling of a camera my steer you towards one camera or another if both cameras have the features you want.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:00 AM   #4

The advice that has been given is sound. A camera like the D200 or 30d requires complete understanding to achieve top end results. Likely either will include many features that you will never need or will complicate your decsion making process in the field. Equally good images can be made from any the entry level DSLR's coupled with quality (and even consumer grade) lenses.

One other thing to consider is the images from higher end DSLR's will likely require post work in image editing software...in other they won't look great out of camera. These DSLR's do less processing in camera, offering the experienced photographer complete control over the final image. You'll need a program like PE4 to do this.

As was said, the body is really the easiest decision. The lenses and other accessories that you will use as you progress through bodies are where the real money is at.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote