Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:02 AM   #1

I'm looking for a digicam, mainly for traveling. I don't know much about technical details and everything, so I can only give you the most general of requirements.

The camera is supposed to be mainly for pictures, but I want to make some videos now and then, too. The length of the video clips should only be limited by disk space, so I can make videos of up to a half-hour in length, whenever the need arises. The resolution of the videos should be at least 320x240 (640x480 would be perfect), and the frame rate about 24 FPS (or maybe only 18 or so if that's not possible).

I have almost no idea how high a resolution the pictures should have. Right now I don't know of any TV or PC monitor or projector that has a higher resolution than maybe 2 MPs, so I guess that's about all I need. But then, sometimes it may be practical to crop the picture, so I guess I'd settle on a minimum of 4 MPs.

I don't know how long it takes a contemporary digicam to take a picture, but I'm going to take many pictures of movement, particularly movement of boats in fast-moving water (whitewater), so it should be very fast, since I don't want too many blurred photos.

As far as zoom is concerned, I think that whatever camera meets the above requirements probably also has satisfactory optical zoom. But that may not be the truth, so I'd say I need as much zoom as is necessary to take a good picture of a person about 20 to 30 yards off, or how about: the more the better. Ah, and needless to say, the zoom should also be available when making video clips.

I don't need any software on the camera to edit the pictures. I just want a display to browse through the pics, and delete one every now and then.
The camera should be able to make pictures (and maybe even video clips, however that would work) in the dark.
Since I don't know a helluva lot about exposure and everything, it'd be best to just press a button and the rest is done completely automatically (except for the zoom, of course).
Anything else? Hm, it should have an SD slot, since I already have some SD cards.
I have no idea how much such a camera is worth, so I don't know how much I'm willing to pay, either.

Hope that's enough info & TIA,
DeNayGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:08 PM   #2

my friend i have just the camera for you @ rock bottom price of $119 !

i import these babies from indonesia as a college student supplement

you can buy on ebay or direct - joshua.hauger@peppgum.com

heres the details

This is 100% NEW strait from Indonesia to me (then to you!) camera!

Boasting a large 2.5 " ( its huge!) color screen and up to 12x total zoom power, the Konaki DV-7 digital camera captures images in up to 7 megapixels of resolution to give you outstanding clarity and detail on all your prints.

* 7.0MP max resolution
* 3x optical zoom
* 4x digital zoom
* 2.5-inch color TFT LCD
* Auto, Red-Eye, Slow Sync, Fill-in, Off flash modes
* Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent, Tungsten, Sunset, and Custom white balance modes
* Movie clip capture -- 640 x 480, 320 x 420 modes
* Self timer
* 32MB internal flash memory
* SD/MMC memory card expansion slot
* Runs on two AA batteries
* Includes Ulead Photo Explorer 8.5 SE Basis and Explorer 2 (Mac version) software

Who ever heard of Konaki? Well not me! But this is a sweet camera. The screen is way larger than my sisters Kodak ezshare. I bought it from a friend at another college who sells them and hooked me up with how to get them from Indonesia. Probably the same people who made Kodaks make these, but they are way less $$$$$. Great for kids/college students who tend to lose cameras when drunk. Not to $$$ but it takes great pix! Ive never used the video part.

PS I have to buy 10 at a time..so tell a friend!

I cannot ship until I get all 10 orders…pass it on if you have a friend who needs a decent cam at a good price.

PS my price is LESS than overstock J

Any ?s email me direct

Shipping is $5 + $5 for insurance which I recommend!

jha2297255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:36 AM   #3

If you haven't heard of the brand, then the specs must be great but the image quality is awful.

DeNayGo, I really think you should consider a Nikon L3.

Movies with sound, 5.0MP, rechargable batteries, relatively slim, easy to use, uses SD Cards.
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote