Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Wich camera is the best entry slr camera.???
Canon 400D 7 25.93%
Nikon 80D 13 48.15%
Sony Alpha 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:46 AM   #51

A good used 20D sounds like a good plan.
Yesterday I spent almost the whole day reading up reviews and opions of Nikon and Canon lenses. Seems like the only lenses coming close to Canon's L lenses are also more expensive or the resolution/distortion is too bad. I will defintely get the D20 and the Canon 28-135mm lense to start with. I like the fact that this lense would actually behave like a 45-216mm. Later I'll get the Tokina AT-X 4.0/12-24mm and either the Canon 70-200mm IS 2.8 or even the 4, and finally the 2x extender which makes the set complete and resembles a total focal range from (correct me if I'm wrong) 20-640mm. Will take some time to get the money together though.
pixelwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 8:50 PM   #52

pixelwhore wrote:
Can someone answer my questions?

I want rather crisp pictures and read in some other threads that many favor Nikons because they are sharper? Is that true?

What entry level lense would you get with a Nikon D80. I couldn't find anything compareable to the 28-135mm Canon lense for the Nikon. I wish there would be a similar VR lense. Should I consider third party lenses?

I hate being ignored
The AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED would be a good starting lens to get with the Nikon D80. This just released lens will pretty much become the kit lens for the D80.

clever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:28 PM   #53

I also agree that some people have been a little harsh on Ben. I am in a similar position to him, I have been looking to buy a DSLR for about 3 months now and have spent countless hours researching brands, models, lenses, etc. I too am getting more and more excited about my purchase as the day draws nearer.

Personally everywhere I have been and every website/forum that I have visited has had a different opinion. People say buy the Pentax, buy the Canon, buy the Nikon, buy the Sony....blah blah blah! The one thing I have learned from all this research is that everyone recommends the camera that is theirownpersonal preference.

So when I buy my first DSLR I have decided that the model I choose will depend on my own personal preference. So I am going to buy the D80 because I have always liked Nikon's and I currently own a Nikon. It feels good and has the features I want.

I have seen photos from all different models of DSLR and I couldn't tell one to be better than the next. At the end of the day all the models seem to beabout as good as each other and the end result will come from my skills as a photographer not the camera.
clever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:22 AM   #54

The Canon EOS 400D is a breakthrough I tell you!! It's high ISO performance is nothing short of fascinating, it is amazing!

Great detail rendition, smooth edges, and PP (post processing)friendly. Just take a look at the image captured by it at the lower ISO, the quality will completely blow your breath away! It's so damn good.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote