Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1

I have been reading so much about both the cameras that now I feel like I should not buy either one of them and maybe wait for something better to come out which will have no debates about its performance.

The guys on the sony threads say that H5 is better than the S3. the image is quality is better, sony provides batteries,lens hood etc, 7 megapixels, larger screen, better indoor pictures etc and th elsit goes on.

and then I read the canon thread and they say that the S3 is better than the H5, the video capibilty, cheaper than H5, fast, S3 used SD cards which are cheaper. etc

So can anyone without any biased opinion once and for all resolve this issue, so that people who are new to the digital photography can make a better dicision and not feel after buying either one of them that they should have gotten the other one.

You guys know way better than us novice in this field. It would be nice for us newbies to get an absolute answer and make a better decision.

sid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:18 AM   #2

Either one. Some like one better some like the other better. No problems with either.

I'd probably save a few bucks and go for the H2, myself.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:15 AM   #3

Cannon has better still picture and video quality than sony, however sony has excellent still picture and video so you will not notice match difference. Sony shoots better at night.

I personnally tested out the canon camera at future shop I find the LCD screen on the canon looks cheap and is way too small takes away from the fun factor. If I had to do it again. I would still choose Sony DSCH5.

With both canon and sony, remember to use manual focus in movie mode!! You can manually focus in/out during movie mode. This will give your movie 100% free unfocus shoot. You can also zoom in / out @12X during movie mode.

sonylcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4

sid 369

I'm in the same predicament as you! but I'm also looking at Kodak, possible a P712 or even Z612 - see the thread I starte dyesterday for more comments on these cameras if you can bare to read more!

Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:00 AM   #5

Canon's been in the photo biz for many decades, while Sony is a relative newcomer. I've owned a Canon digicam in the past (A75) and it was unbeatable in it's class. I don't doubt that the Sony H5 is good, but given the choice, I'd go for the Canon S3 every time.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote