Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:56 PM   #1

Hello everyone I have wanted to get into photography for a while and really wanted to jump right into the DSLR market. Well realizing I am fresh off of studying and have only recently started working over here in South Africa I have also realized that it would be great to drop two months salary on a Canon D350 or D400 but with all the will power in the world I have decided to ask you opinion of another option.

Over here we have a local auction site much like Amazon only much smaller and there is a user who wants to sell his Canon EOS-300D with EF-S 18-55 mm lens (the stock lens) now he bought this in early 2004. I am busy talking to him about the condition which from what he says sounds to be very good with no damage to the body or lens, a little wear on the bottom of the camera due to use but nothing major. Now the current auction price converted into US $ (bare in mind we work in "Rands" and the current exchange rate is 1$=6.5 Rand) would be around $400. Now is this an insane price. Would this be a smart buy? Is the camera something I can grow with if the bug bites? Or should I stay clear of it and just breathe. I would really like to have some money left over to take some classes and get my head around the art of it all and want to know if I should place a bid for it or if I would be better off going elsewhere. Bearing in mind I am new to it all but still want all the versatility to create rather than just pointing and shooting.

Thank you so much these forums are inspiring and the work that goes on here is often amazing.

mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links