Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:06 AM   #1

Hi Fellows,

What would be the best buy at around £200 for a compact, we are talking general purpose with at least 3 x optical zoom, and fairly small.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:22 AM   #2

Well, amongst the ultra-compacts, which will fit into a pants pocket, the Canon SD700IS is a bit more expensive, but well worth considering. The Fuji F30 and the Sony DSC-T9 are right around that price. And the Fuji F20, just released, looks like it might be the best bargain out there for under that price.

If it's not important to be *that* small, you might look at the Canon A series. Canon A700 is a very nice overall model in that range. The A710IS might be worth waiting for--it doesn't seem to be available yet. And the A620 is a very good value.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:36 AM   #3

I think dpreview's review of the F30 they compared it head to head with the A700 with more or less comparative results. But then the F30 did a pretty good job in its comparison with the Nikon D50 at ISO 800 (practically same noise levels) with only the red color somewhat fading in the F30's pics. But then it was a compact camera being compared to the quality of a Nikon DSLR and at more than double the price, it should have outdone the F30.
al1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:41 PM   #4

Thanks fellows, I thought about the F30 so I reckon that will be the one, I will find hard to shift fron Canon though.

Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote