Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:19 PM   #1

Hello, i am a newbie in digital photography and i own a10Mp Sony DSC-R1. I would like to print the beautiful photographs it takes in an A3/A3+ size (13x19), keeping the maximum photo quality andbeing sure my photographs still look really good even when my 2 years child has become an adult. Can someone among you suggest a good printer that matches these requirements?

- Lab-quality printouts up to 13x19;

- Stand-alone printing capabilities (i.e. able to print directly from my DSC-R1 without a computer, possibly "pictbridge"), VERY IMPORTANT - even without an lcd display;

- Long-lasting printouts (framedand keptin daylight), no less than 30 years;

- Possibly waterproof printouts (i guess it to be very difficult for inkjet printers, so i can live without);

- Affordable price (say $500 shelves price).

I have heard good things about5 printers: HP 8750 and B9180 (maybe not stand-alone?), Canon i9900 and Pixma pro 9000 and Epson R1800 (maybenot stand-alone?), but in my town i can't test them and i don't know wich one could be best for my needs; also, i don't know if thereis any other model that would be more appropriate for me. Please, can someone help me?

Thank you in advance for your kindness.
Luca72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:55 PM   #2

Hi newbie,
If you have deep pockets and want real printer quality,
then the Epson Pro 4800 is the way to go. I've been using
this big beast for 4 months now and it's quite incredible.
110 or 220 ml new K3 pigment inks, built-in roll paper
cutter, 17" by whatever-length-u-want prints, prints well
on almost anything (when tested and proofed) and arrives
at your place on a wooden skid in a giant box (it's that
big).

I can print 8x11 plain paper b&w's to 17" x 'whatever'
fine art prints with it. The 220ml K3 inks will go on
forever. Waterproof and fade resistant.

Prints large prints so fast it's nuts.

It's an incredible machine. Get one if you can afford it
and know how to edit your digital pics properly, preferably
your RAW pics to take advantage of the large printing
sizes available on the Pro 4800.

Wayne.
Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3

If all you need is 13x19, the Epson R2400 will do the trick for a lot less money than the 4800. I have both and they both produce remarkable prints. Both have the problem of having to swap black inks depending on whether you need gloss or matte. This process wastes quite a bit of ink (so I hear, I haven't done it yet). That is one of the reasons I have both. The 2400 has always had the matte black in it and the 4800 has always had the photo, or gloss, black in it. I mainly print on premier canvas with the 4800 and most often Velvet fine art paper on the 2400.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 5:27 PM   #4

Thank you very much, both the Epson printers seem very interesting to me, but they seem to lack a very important thing for me: the stand-alone capability (i.e. they're not able to print directly from the camera without a computer). Am i wrong?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:31 PM   #5

You are right.

I have an old Epson 300 that can print directly and aN HP that can. Neither of them gives near the quality of the two newer ones. For one thing I almost always shoot RAW and the printer can't handle that format very well at all. They need to go through conversion and whatever other enhancements I might choose before they are ready for printing.

Good luck in your search.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:00 AM   #6

No one seems to have mentioned the new Canon Pixma 9000 printer. The better 9500 isn't available yet but the main difference is an extra two ink tanks to cope better with B&W prints which Epson, up to now, have always done better. The jury will be out until the new one has been tested I guess. However, I've had the i9950 Canon A3+ printer since it came out and have plenty of great prints from it.

It seems to me that talking about the 4800 Epson is going a bit far for an amatuer, and either the 2400 or the Canon would do. The Canon though, and this might be the clincher, is Pictbridge compatible and you can plug your camera directly into it for printing.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:04 AM   #7

Yes, i've heard rumors about Canon new "pixma pro" printers (9000 and 9500), but i'm still waiting for a definitive verdict about ink permanence in time. The 9500 seems more interesting to me, since it uses pigment ink, that is waterproof (at least they say), but we should wait a bit of a time... They have pictbridge compatibility, so they should be ok for my needs. Does anyone have a pixma pro 9000 sohe canshare his impressions of use? Thank you!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8

Steve has just posted his review of it. Go here:-

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...n_pro9000.html

He seems to like it.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:19 PM   #9

13" X 19" sounds really good until you find out that you can't find a standard 13" X 19" frame or matt anywhere. So, you're stuck with printing smaller sizes so as to find an off-the-shelf frame and/or matt. You would think that frame makers would have caught on by now.

I have the Epson 2200. Today, I bought the 7600 which prints on roll paper 24" wide. Got a great deal on a used one. Printed my first print (24X36) tonight and was blown away. (Sorry, I got carried away)

Just wanted to mention the frame size problem to Luca.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:59 AM   #10
JPL

Epson will be releasing the new Stylus 1400 printer that will print 13x19 using the dye based Claria ink. Wilhelm Research has estimated that the prints should last 95 years under glass.

The printer dpi is 5760x1440 with variable droplet size as small as 1.5pl, will have auto photo correction and direct printing onto inkjet printable CD/DVDs.Also, this is nice, include Adobe Photoshop Elements.

www.compusa.com has posted some information on it. Listed price is $399.99
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote