Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:16 PM   #1

Does anybody have the Epson 1400. I thin k it's new and I saw it at CompUSA for $399.

No roll feed but does up to 13"X19" uses 6 inks.

I want to buy a Wide carriage but lack knowledge of which is best for money. I've looked at the Epson 1800 and 2400 and realize that they have 8 inks = more money. Is it worth it if color is the primary interest.?

Regards

Dave
DLWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:06 PM   #2

I use the R1800 and the output is everything I could ask. My printing is mostly in color, but if I did a lot of b&w, I probably would get the 2400.

The 1800 is actually a 6-color printer (CMY, gloss OR matte black, red and blue.) the 8th cartridge is the gloss optimizer. Yes, it seems to use a lot of ink, and the carts aren't cheap, but to me, it is worth it. Of course, printing large panoramas may contribute to that ink usage. Roll paper support, straight thru paper path for heavy media, and direct CD/DVD printing also are nice features. I don't use them all that much except the roll paper, but very nice to have.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3
JPL

What kind of projects are you planning to print?

The SP1400 is a 6-color dye based ink. The R1800 and R2400 uses pigment based ink.

Wilheim Research ratingfor print permanence is 98 years for display framed under glass and over 200 years in album/dark storage.

Maximum resolution is 5760x1440 dpi; prints with up to five drop sizes and minimum drop size of 1.5 picoliters.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote