Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:34 PM   #1

Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing a wide format ink jet printer for photos. My needs are up to 13x19 inch with the ability to do banner out to 40 inches or so. I have a color laser that will do 12x18 and does a good job for calendars and such but a laser printer just doesn't cut it for glossy quality photos. Any help on choosing a printer would be appreciated, I don't need speed these are for framed photographs. I would like to have good quality printing at a reasonable cost.
Thanks, Esharri
esharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2

If practicality is your main concern, consider the cost of printer and a few sets of ink carts, and figure how many prints you could purchase for this cost. Also figure the time it will take you to get your printer working correctly and printing correct colors. You will use a bit of paper and ink doing this.(some people more than others)

I use an Epson R1800 for my large printing, and will admit it can be an ink hog, but then, 11x14" and 13x19" prints take a lot of ink. I have had very little trouble from the printer, but if you read the threads here, and on other forums, you will find others who have nothing but. This applies to every model from every maker, though. Epsons seem to be particular about ink, and only seem to work well with OEM ink carts. Expensive, but the prints it makes, especially on the Premiun Glossy, are spectacular. The R2400 seems to have an advantage in printing b/w, though.

I have seen very good output from HP and Canon printers as well. The reason I am using the Epson is that it was a gift from my wife. It is the printer I wished for, but had not been able to justify the cost. I have a great wife.:-)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:10 AM   #3

esharri wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing a wide format ink jet printer for photos. My needs are up to 13x19 inch with the ability to do banner out to 40 inches or so. I have a color laser that will do 12x18 and does a good job for calendars and such but a laser printer just doesn't cut it for glossy quality photos. Any help on choosing a printer would be appreciated, I don't need speed these are for framed photographs. I would like to have good quality printing at a reasonable cost.
Thanks, Esharri
I have just purchased a HP Designjet 130 nr which is a large format printer 24" wide I paid £1234 including VAT and It is excellent for photographs on any paper and I can do banners upto the length of the rolls of paper depending on the rolls usually about 30 meters.

Hope that helps.

Neil......

Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:23 AM   #4

Thanks guys,
The R1800 may be a good choice, the HP 130nr looks perfect but it is a little pricey for me. That is a lot of ink cartridges to have to replace. I think I saw it's around 100 dollars to get the package cartridges for the 1800. For that many cartridges that really isn't that bad if you get enough photos out of it. I never understood the 5% coverage thing, why don't they say you'll get x number of full color prints at this size so you know what you're getting.
Esharri
esharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:01 AM   #5

I think the problem is really that no one can decide on a standard print to use for comparison. Also, the ink formulations vary such that a specific green color would take different amounts of CMY ink from one printer to another. Hard to make an apples to apples comparison.

The Epson carts will cost over $100 for a full set, but there are two Glop carts in a package, and the red and blue inks tend (for me anyway), to last longer then the CMYK, as they are used seemingly to increase the color gamut, and don't seem to be used full time. Also, since I print mostly glossy, the matte black doesn't get used much either. If you print mostly matte, it would be the other way. On the other hand, large prints take a lot of ink to print, and there isn't any good way around that. The continuous ink systems seem to have a lower ink cost, but I have also seen lots of threads about ink clogs with them. Color rendition may vary enough from the OEM ink that new profiles need to be created for them. Sometimes it is possible to get the profiles from the CIS maker, but not always.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote