Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:51 PM   #1

I plan on buying either one of the two printers mentioned.

I am an epson fan and am hedging towards the 3800 but I am concerned with print head clogs and wasted ink. Prints are very archival and colour gamut seems excellent. For the money it seems to be very reasonable. You also get built in ethernet without paying extra for it. It cannot take roll media, which I don't think I care about. It comes with a diminished amount of ink in cartridges, which are pretty pricey to replace. They are large, but not as big as 5100. Costs about $500 for whole new set of inks. I have a epson r1800 at work and really like it. It hasn't been a pain for clogs, unlike my older 820 and 825.

Then there is the ipf5100. I currently own 2 canon printers because they print FAST and the quality is great (ink, not pigment). The ipf5100 is archival pigment based with total of 12 inks. The 5000 had a lot of bugs which has been fixed on the 5100. It's archival range is about half of the Epson's, but at 100 years, who cares. Prints are a bit cheaper because of the better ink value and there is less ink loss from clogs (hypothetically). Fast prints, can be upgraded to roll and ethernet. Mp i950 and i9100 have been reasonable for clogs, but not great. I hear the i5100 is terrific but does waste a bit of ink each day. Large tanks, expensive cartridges, but good value.

Bottom line - does anyone out there have a 5000 or 5100? What do you think of it?Does anyone have an opinion on which is a better buy long term. I welcome any opinions. Thanks.
ericsvendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:57 AM   #2

I just took delivery of the 5100. It is huge. I had to put in a new table for it. I need the roll to print panoramas. If I did not need the roll I would not even think about this monster. It has beautiful output. It's a great printer, but for anyone who does not need a roll, I think it's crazy big. I'd be using a much more reasonably sized 3800 if I had no need for a roll without question.
santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:27 PM   #3

Thank you for your thoughts. I have continued doing research and am getting to the same conclusion, although I have not committed to it 100%. I don't plan on buying until the new year, so I have time. The 5100 is still relatively new and there are not too many out there yet (especially in Canada). I don't plan on doing rolls, and size is an issue. I think that quality wise they are about the same. My largest concern is related to nozzle clogging. I have wasted a rediculous amount of ink (and money) cleaning blocked heads, on both Canons and Epsons. I want (a miracle?) to know that what I buy won't cost me an arm and a leg in cleaning costs. I don't do tons of printing, but what I do I take pride in. I understand that turning the machine off helps prevent clogs.

With infrequent use, what can I expect from the Epson 3800 and the Canon ipf 5100 in terms of clogs? Any other ideas or experiences out there?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 5:42 AM   #4

I bought the 3800 in July, my first Epson. Print quality is superb. I was away on a trip for over 3 weeks in September, and whenI got back the printer churned out a 16x20 with no problems at all. I don't think fear of clogging ought to be your decision point.

Ink comes in 80 ml carts., so I suspect I'll replace them twice a year, or less if the old carts perform well. Switching uses max 5 ml to go both ways, so unless you change paper types often itis not a big deal.

I went for size - I havelimited space, so the 3800, which is a little bigger than my old Canon i9100 was the best choice by far. Whether you need other features like roll paper is up to you. I especially like thenetwork capability - wireless in my case - allows me yo sit anywhere in the house and print. I am one very satisfied user.

BB
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5

Thank you for your input. Unless anyone can give me a good reason not to, I plan on buying the Epson 3800. The size and quality is precicely what I need. I do quite like Canon printer products, but have pretty much decided to go for the Epson. If anyone out there has any information which could change my mind, I would appreciate hearing it. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and read this thread.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:54 PM   #6

I've had my Canon iPF-5100 for just over a year. The prints are superb. I print up to 17" x 22" prints. Yes, the printer is big and heavy. Remember, it's a commercial printer so it's built tough. I read all the reviews and considered an Epson, but the head clogging issues, and the fact it uses about $75 in ink when changing from gloss to matte prints. Have a look at pricing. There are some excellent deals on the 5100 right now.

Regards, Paul.
up here in Haliburton, ON Canada.
inHaliburton is offline   Reply With Quote